Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Literary Analysis- Chapters 11-12


Account

In these chapters the war goes on and Paul’ friend continues to die off. In the end the only two that are left are Paul and Kat. And then Kat is killed when being carried by Paul to a medic after being wounded. Once Paul realizes that all his friends are gone he also realizes that he has no place in this world anymore, and is killed by standing up and taking a bullet to the head, dying peacefully, knowing that his time in this world is gone.

Journal Entry

Sometime,
Yesterday Kat died and I am still numb I believe. I realize that I have no place in this world anymore, all that has kept me here are dead, my family cannot understand what I have been through. No that is not right, my friends here were my family, and they are gone. And so am I.

Vocab words

--influenza- An acute contagious viral infection characterized by inflammation of the respiratory tract and by fever, chills, muscular pain, and prostration. Also called grippe.
-“war is the cause of death like cancer and tuberculosis, like influenza and dysentery” (Remarque 271)
--dysentery- an infectious disease marked by inflammation and ulceration of the lower part of the bowels, with diarrhea that becomes mucous and hemorrhagic.
- quote the same as before

Political Cartoon


Those in power often use propaganda to gather followers. As in this cartoon, the colonies of America in the 1700’s when seeking independence used the scare tactic to gather the help of the other colonies to fight against the British. In the cartoon a snake cut up in pieces is shown with each piece as a colony, it says “JOIN OR DIE” meaning that if the colonies had refused to join those seeking independence then they would be considered as enemies. This relates to the war journal because the German people were persuaded to join the army due to propaganda by the leaders.

Reflection

In these chapters I learned that war takes away everything that young soldiers have, and leaves it with only war. Since the men in the war were so young they had no ties to the world, and when war took them they had nothing to hold onto and so therefore lost themselves. I learned that war is horrible for it corrupts the innocent and leaves them a mockery of everything they stood for.

No comments: