Monday, November 12, 2007

Literary Analysis- Chapter 4

Account

In this chapter the front line is described, also the horrors that come with it. Paul witnesses the event of animal instinct that is necessary for survival for soldiers and begins to think about what it is turning them into.

Journal Entry

Monday,
I wrote home today, it felt wrong to lie to my family but I feel that they would not understand what we are going through right now, anyway I don’t want mother to worry any more than she already is; she is, I am afraid, worrying about me all the time. Nothing else happened of interest, the front line is the same as usual, people are dying as usual, and my friends and I are being our normal selves. Although me and Kat did steal chickens, they were very good.
Paul

Vocab words

1. Bombardment- to attack with artillery fire
“Bombardment” says Kat” (Remarque 59)
2 lorries- a long low horse drawn wagon without sides
“monotonously the lorries sway” (Remarque 74)

Political Cartoon


While the soldiers are away fighting the reporters are sitting around finding names and criticizing the war. This political cartoon depicts a man standing giving orders telling reporters to come up with a name for a war. This cartoon is saying that the war has consumed the world and it needs a name that fits it

Reflection

In this chapter I am beginning to learn the cruelty and horror of war. Life is short and life is even shorter for those who are soldiers in a war, for even if they escape unscathed physical part, they never escape the mental part. War takes everything one has and destroys it leaving only a mockery behind.

No comments: